Members of the Corps of Cadets look forward to
Final Review at the end of
their Junior year when they can finally step into their Senior boots which
they will continue to wear throughout their senior year.
The making of boots dates back to 1914 when the Corps changed from the West
Point style uniforms to the national cadet wardrobe. In 1921 they were made
by Jack Alesci at Randolph Army Air Field in San Antonio.
In 1925, the English style of boot became the traditional Senior boot that
we still see today, and the boot was officially designated as part of the
Senior Cadet's uniform. To meet the needs of the Senior Cadets in 1926,
Lucchese's in San Antonio started making boots.
The local competition sprang up in 1929. Holick set up his shop adjacent to campus
at Northgate. In 1932, Holick's price for a pair
of boots was around $32.50.
During World War II, boots could not be made due to the rationing of leather.
So, incoming Seniors had to buy their boots from former students.
Another change came in 1966 that made the look of each and every Senior more
uniform. It was decided that all boots must be of medium brown color.
In the year following, for the first time ever, cadets adopted uniform
privileges for the next year.
The 1970's brought many changes to the Corps of Cadets. The Seniors were
presented another vendor for making their boots, Victor's in Bryan.
In 1974, women were allowed to enter into the Corps. But it was not until
1979 that they were able to wear boots. The going rate for a pair of
women's boots was $80 in comparison to men's for $300.